Friday, March 11, 2011

A Rude Awakening

Two days ago it was 85 degrees and I was putting on triple-applications of sunscreen to mitigate the sunburn I'd already obtained. A chorus of birds belted out songs in foreign tongues as I watched a school of snook chase my fly all the way to the boat only to peel off at the last second. There were sandwiches and cold beer in the cooler and I was trying not to think about the fact that I was about to jump on a plane that would take me many miles and two full seasons away from this place. So as you might imagine, looking out at the 8 inches of fresh snow outside my window this morning felt like awakening to a frosty hell....


I returned to The States Wednesday after 5 days of fishing in Isla Holbox, Mexico. It's a place I absolutely can't wait to get back to. The island was beautiful, the fishing was exciting and diverse, and our hosts were overwhelmingly generous and hospitable. Brett was joined on the island by his family this week and will be staying through the weekend and I'm sure he will have plenty more pictures and stories to share when he gets back.


Below is a photo essay from our first day of fishing on the island. I'll be adding more pictures and stories from the trip over the next few days so keep an eye on the blog!











No comments:

Post a Comment